10 survival tips for a baseball newbie

Back to Article
Back to Article

10 survival tips for a baseball newbie

Megan Chenn

Megan Chenn

Megan Chenn

Megan Chen, Reporter

Not being a baseball fan, I had no idea what to do going into my first Giants game.

All I knew before I went was that there were two rival teams — the Giants and Cardinals — the most basic rules from my high school gym class and that all of us were in for a really long night.  I am still not a baseball pro, but I learned 10 new things that any baseball newbie should know beforehand.

It’s really cold, so always bring a jacket.

Even though it was very hot outside when we got to the ballpark, it probably dropped 20 degrees when we got to the end. Even if you do not end up using your jacket, it is always a good thing to bring.

Don’t drive your own car unless you have a parking pass.

There are thousands of people at these games. If you do not want to be stuck in parking garage traffic for two hours after a long game, taking public transit is definitely the way to go. Plus, you could meet someone new and learn even more about the game.

Always be on the lookout for foul balls.

Sometimes the batter will hit the ball the wrong way, and either it could hit you or you could catch one of the foul balls. Hopefully, it’s the latter and it will be your lucky day, but always stay on watch.

Know the terms: bases, innings, home runs, strikeouts, batter, pitcher, outfielders, infielders.

If you do not know these terms, you probably won’t understand the game. Google will be your best friend in this case or just grab a friend that really knows the lingo.

Get your food early or in the middle of an inning, or there will be very long lines.

Even if you’re not hungry, just grab your food early or you will be missing a lot of the game while standing in line. After standing in the line for almost an hour for dessert, I definitely learned my lesson.

Unless you will be in a very large park, bring your own food if you are vegan, gluten free and/or you don’t want to break the bank.

Vegan or gluten free? Most likely there will not be a lot of choices, so it would be best to bring some of your own snacks. If you are in the mood for ballpark food, be ready to splurge for $7 hot chocolate and $8 boba.

Don’t bring your own water because security will throw it away.

I learned this after throwing away my free Starbucks water. Even though water will be expensive in the park, it’s better than wasting the water bottles you packed for the park.

If you want to get to your seats early, don’t bring a large backpack.

There are bag checks before you enter the stadium. With thousands of people coming to each game, being stuck in the line with a heavy backpack will not make the most enjoyable experience. Pack everything you need, but try to make it as compact as possible.

Try not to wear the colors of the opposing team because there will be a lot of booing and screaming.

If you know the stadium is the home stadium for one of the teams, wear the colors of that team or a neutral color. Unless you are super fan of the other team and you have a really strong willpower, sports stadiums can become a scary place.

Don’t buy souvenirs at the game because they will make your wallet cry.

Everything at the stadium is overpriced. Just go literally anywhere else.

Overall, going to a baseball game is something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. You will not only meet a range of people and get a good laugh, but you will be able to use a checklist that will make your experience so much more enjoyable. So get your game face on, do some research and have a great time.